Monday, February 1, 2010

Fashion trends I just can't stand, episode 1

Wearing your nice shoes...IN THE SNOW.

Ugh, call me a stickler, call me an old fashioned lame-o, but no REAL LADY wears her work shoes in the snow. 
I live in lovely Rochester, New York, which is a grand name for a place otherwise known as the basement of America. It is a little damp, it is a little dark, but you find a ton of really cool stuff here and it has a good vibe. Oh, and snow. Lots of snow. 

Just this morning I was suiting up for my long day and trying to decide what footwear to bring along to work, because the weather outside wasn't exactly frightful, but the remnants of snowstorm slush were there and I love my shoes too much to subject them to that. So, on went the nasty snow boots underneath my nice, expensive grey slacks, into a little baggie went my NotRated ankle booties with plaid foldover, and off I went.

On my way to class I see this really tall, thin girl with a lovely black coat on, which was perfectly suited to her and very long as well. There was a grey beret present. Nice. I was so intrigued by her sense of style in outerwear (as I generally am by well-dressed people) that I almost said something to her about it, but then my eyes got to her feet and there they were.

The cutest pair of velvet, black high heels with a bow on each delightful little toe.

Slogging through the salty mush.

Getting dirty.

Ladies, please. If you are going to spend money on nice shoes, especially the most heart breakingly wonderful pair of black velvet bow-on-the-toe ones, you need to also invest in a crummy pair of snow boots. I almost knelt to the ground and wept for these poor shoes and this poor girl, who will now have crusty and terrible salt stains all over her tootsies for the rest of forever. 

I don't care how busy you are. I don't care what style of dress you subscribe to. Say no to snow. If your shoes cost more than $20, and you like them enough to wear them in public, for God's sake take care of them.


Ok so you hate boots. 
 SHUELLA's are these fabulous little waterproof covers for your dress shoes. Awesome, they come in different colors. Not awesome: not insulated. But if you don't care about your toes turning black and falling off, then I guess it's ok. Plus they'll last you a while, and they look chic. I would totally pay to get these.

Whatever you do, do it fast. Your shoes will thank you. Now get out of here. I have some loving, gentle whispering to do into my shoe closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment