Thursday, September 3, 2009

Here I am!!!

Sorry for the long hiatus! I was spending the summer teaching little girls how to ride...in Poland, Maine! (Yes, where the spring water comes from.) It was a long summer, full of much hard work and even a little bit of suntanning (!), and I made a great number of new friends from abroad. :)

So, where to begin? I am embarking on a money-saving agenda this year, keeping in mind the very many resources I have available to me as a citizen of Western NY. Just today I bought three ears of sweet corn and a pound of green beans for $4.50 total. And you wouldn't believe the taste of this corn. It's one of the easiest things to prepare...and a lot of people seem to bungle it up anyway. Get it right off the stalk and RUN home to plop it into a pot of boiling water...corn starts to lose its sweetness the minute it is separated from Mother Stalk!

To boil corn:

1. Set a lightly salted pot of water to boil on med-high heat. When it reaches boiling point, drop the shucked ears of corn in. A good, fresh ear will be done almost as soon as the water reboils again. Take a bite to test....and save that one for yourself. ;)


PS: Everyone should go see the movie "Julie & Julia"....great film about Julia Child and the foodie/novelist Julie Powell!

No comments:

Post a Comment