Sunday, August 22, 2010

The little things.



Way back when, in the times before the seventies, I have this opinion that life was not necessarily better..just more detail oriented. The thought comforts me. I guess this is because I myself am very detail oriented--not just in the way I do things,but also in the way I dress, decorate my home, and act.

I went to an estate sale yesterday in a barn, and was floored by how many little tidbits there were from this woman's life. Each dress I purchased had a matching bolero, often made out of delicate tulle or lace. Wedding dresses had crowns. Little purses had detachable clutches inside.

Whatever happened to the following details?

The perfect hat
Gloves.

The beautiful sweater guard.
The thank you note.
The well-fitted suit.

The peignoir/nightgown set.
The scarf.

The decanter set for liquor.

These days it feels like no one takes the time to dwell on the little pieces of appearance that make us feel and look special. I get that we're all busy, but maybe by taking that little extra second to dwell, we can use our time to inflect upon our own selves a little more. After all, one can't care for others until one cares for themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment