Thursday, February 19, 2009

Review of Supercook.com

I am no stranger to the half-empty pantry. Now, I don't have a family to cook for, but it's also pretty sobering to come home after a long day of work and classes to find barely anything in your pantry and fridge...maybe a wisp of pasta or a single egg or a half eaten tomato. (This tomato would have come courtesy of my boyfriend, who has a long history of slicing things in half and leaving the other half cut-side-down on a tea plate. This includes tomatoes, butter, lemons, cukes...you name it, it's on a plate half-eaten in his fridge.) At any rate, I know what it feels like to come home and feel completely cranky at the thought of having to go out (because you have no money) or to shop (because you've been on your feet all day.) Enter: Supercook.com.

Supercook.com is a fabulous little gem that I found while trolling the internet via Stumbleupon. Here's how it works. Enter your basic ingredients,

(As you can see, I have a lot of things...but all of them kind of random. Fried beef in butter, anyone?)
and recipes pop up automatically based on what you have put in. If you are missing one item, the recipe lets you know.

Naturally, the more stuff you can scrounge up, the more stuff will come up on the recipe sifter. The only problem with the recipes are that they can be repetitive...for the ingredients I listed, I had hundreds of hollandaise sauce offers before I found something I might like. There is also no sifter option for prep times, so if you are looking for quick and easy, you might have to search for a while. After all, man cannot live on hollandaise alone.

The recipes are very neatly laid out. Usually, the links take you to a recipe within supercook.com, but occasionally they will send you to recipezaar.com, another fabulous recipe site that also has a recipe shifting option. Either way, it doesn't take any longer to load. Just be happy it did. You're hungry!

1 comment: